Epic Evolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

List of Brazilian monarchs

Go down

List of Brazilian monarchs Empty List of Brazilian monarchs

Post  taixyz1992 Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am

The Monarchs of Brazil were the rulers of Brazil from the time of the arrival of the Portuguese in 1500 until 1889. There are three main stages in the dynastical history of Brazil: Colonial Brazil as part of the Kingdom of Portugal (1500–1815), the Kingdom of Brazil (1815–1822) united with Portugal, and the independent Empire of Brazil (1822–1889).

The Portuguese officially arrived in Brazil on 22 April 1500 and based on the Treaty of Tordesilhas, it became a possession of Portugal. The Kings of Portugal then were the Monarchs over Brazil until the invading army of Napoleon I forced the Portuguese government to flee to Brazil in 1807. On 16 December 1815 the prince regent John, the future king John VI raised Brazil to the status of a kingdom, thus making his mother, Maria I, the reigning Queen, the first Monarch of Brazil. Having proclaimed independence from Portugal in 1822, Pedro I, son of John VI, was crowned Emperor of Brazil on 1 December 1822.

College Flags
stainless steel hand rails

taixyz1992

Back to top Go down